THE ARTISAN HEART
by DEAN MAYES
Featuring a strong female lead, THE ARTISAN HEART captures the essence of small town romance by bypassing the norms of gender roles, and beautifully portrays a second chance at love, all snuggled in the valley of a picturesque Australian mountain village.
Hayden Luschcombe is a brilliant pediatrician living in Adelaide with his wife, an ambitious event planner. His life consists of soul-wrenching days at the hospital and tedious evenings attending his wife’s lavish parties.
When a betrayal coincides with a traumatic confrontation, Hayden ﬂees. His destination is Walhalla, nestled in Australia’s southern mountains. With his city life in ruins, he stays, and picks up the pieces of his life by ﬁxing up the home his parents left behind.
A chance encounter with a deaf young girl introduces Hayden to Isabelle Sampi, a struggling artisan baker. While single-handedly raising her daughter and trying to resurrect a bakery, Isabelle has no time for matters of the heart. Yet the presence of the handsome doctor challenges her resolve. Hayden, protective of his own fractured heart, ﬁnds something that awakens dormant feelings of his own.
As their attraction grows, and the past threatens their chance at happiness, both Hayden and Isabelle will have to confront long-buried truths if they are ever to embrace a future.
The author of three novels and an Intensive Care Nurse, Dean Mayes returns to his romantic roots with a heart warming story about starting over and rediscovering love, set in the former gold mining town of Walhalla, Australia where he spent much of his own childhood.
PUB DATE SEPTEMBER 1, 2018
PRAISE FOR DEAN MAYES
“Mayes’s characters inspire sympathy, and I kept reading to learn more about them.” ~ San Francisco Book Review (Gifts of the Peramangk)
“Dean Mayes clearly cares deeply about his characters, and his dedication to them shines through. I highly recommend this tale.” ~ Long and Short Reviews (Gifts of the Peramangk)
“…a great read that was fascinating medically and had great character development…” ~ Manhattan Book Review (The Recipient)
Central Avenue Publishing
Other books by the author
Yesterday I had my second signing at a Barnes & Noble here in Northern Virginia. I have been trying to get them to let me have one at a local branch but the district manager won’t return my emails. A writer friend was able to get three other branches in the area to hold multi-authors signings and I managed to snag two of those.
The first one was kind of a sleepy event. Not many people visiting the gigantic store but somehow we all managed to sell books and interact with many people. The second one was held in a wealthier part of Northern Virginia and the place was teeming with humans. The four of us got pretty excited. If we had a good turnout in a sleepy branch, here we should make a killing, so to speak.
Here’s how it really went:
- Several kids came to ask for our candy.
- Several people refused to accept free swag.
- One very nice aspiring author asked us for some guidance in the publishing world.
- An older lady came and asked each of us if we used the F-word in our books (I use it very sparingly and only because it was pointed out to me that my characters are too proper, lol). Once she found out that pretty much all of us did in one way or another, she asked us why did you use such an offensive word. She didn’t buy anything.
- When I offered them my FREE postcards, they almost always took the one advertising an event I’ll be participating in but which holds absolutely no information about me or my books.
- A very kind older man came to talk to us and had us all laughing with his jokes. He didn’t buy anything but thanked us for all the work we do (he used to work for one of the Big Five)
- Lots of people entered the raffle to win books from all of us, but most of them didn’t buy anything.
- We heard a lot of, “I don’t read romance” (totally understandable. It’s not for everybody, of course).
- People thought we were the information desk and came to ask us about items in the store.
- We left the event with about $6 each for one book sold from each one of us.
- I sold a M/M paranormal romance book to a lady who told me she didn’t read romance at all.
Moral of the story: don’t judge an event by how posh the neighborhood is. Buying power and romance doesn’t always jive, apparently.
Today I bring you a poem written by a friend of mine. I met Leslie when I lived in Scotland many years ago and we’ve been friends (however separated by an ocean) ever since. She lives in a gorgeous cottage on a cliff on the eastern coast of Scotland and often experiences the beautiful, almost mystical weather event called the Haar (sea fog).
Here’s a poem she wrote some time back about the Haar. Thank you for letting me share it, Leslie.
Wraiths of sea mist
drift through my open door
from the past.
Wrapping their cold fingers
around my hands as I write
they were here.
I see them flit past
on their way back
and through eternity.
All I Want
Title: All I Want
Series: Rocking Racers #5
Author: Megan Lowe
Publisher: Hot Tree Publishing
Genre: Contemporary Sports/MM Romance
Release Date: June 2, 2018
He’s all I ever wanted, but what I could never have
Bishop Royal is a sleaze. He’s a cheat, a copycat, a bastard. He knows what you think of him and he doesn’t care. All he cares about is his best friend, Jake.
Jake Ellis has loved Bishop Royal for sixteen years. He’s been by his side
through everything: deaths, hardships, and triumphs.When Bishop’s life is pulled out from underneath him, he figures with nothing left
to lose, it’s time to tell Jake how he feels.
Under pressure to be the picture-perfect boyfriend and his father’s perfect son, will
Bishop fold or go after the only thing he’s ever truly wanted?
99c for a limited time
Books 1-4 are Contemporary Sports/MF Romance
Free in Kindle Unlimited
Megan Lowe is a lost journalism graduate who after many
painful years searching for a job in that field, decided if she couldn’t write
news stories, she would start listening to the characters whispering stories to
her and decided to write them down. She writes primarily New
Adult/Contemporary Romance stories with Sport and Music themes. She is based on
the Gold Coast but her heart belongs to New York City. When she’s not writing
she’s either curled up with a good book, travelling or screaming at the TV
willing her sporting teams to pull out the win.